Shannon 's Reviews > The Song Remains the Same

The Song Remains the Same by Allison Winn Scotch

May 07, 2012

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read on April 16, 2012

This book was a bit of a departure from what I normally read and I am glad I took the chance. Nell wakes up in the hospital with no memory of who she is. This premise sounds like a nightmare to me. Can you imagine what that would be like? Sure you get to forget anything bad that ever happened but you would forget all the good too. There are people in the room with her when she wakes up but she doesn't know who they are. How strange would it be to have people visiting you and telling you about your own life? I really felt for Nell and her journey back to normal, whatever that may be for her.

This book read almost like a mystery for me which was interesting. Nell has to unravel the mystery of who she is. She has to rely on other people to fill her in on what she likes, dislikes, her job, her hobbies, favorite food, everything. I think that she learns a very important thing, how well do the people around us really know us? We all have secrets. If you lost yours, how would you know how you really felt about your life and the people in it.

I don't want to get into too many specifics because you know me, I hate spoilers. I will just say that Nell has the most to learn about her family. Is the key to learning who you really are wrapped up in the people closest to you? Maybe, but without your memories how will you know? This is one of those non YA books that I am going to hope some of you will take a chance on. It is well written and held my interest closely.

BOTTOM LINE: I really liked it and I hope many readers will pick it up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Song Remains the Same.