Neil's Reviews > Stop-Time

Stop-Time by Frank Conroy

Aug 27, 08

Read in July, 2008

First I say that I don't much like memoirs and then I decide to read two in a row. I've been trying for a month now to figure out how to describe the very specific emotional state that Stop-Time put me in every time I read a chapter and I guess I'm not going to come up with it.

I first heard about this book when Conroy died, and--as advertised--he's a fantastic writer. I would read a passage and think, "Wow, what incredible writing" and then would go back through it and realize that there were no rhetorical flourishes--nothing about the passage that was drawing attention to itself. And yet the words moved me.

Because the book is about a childhood, I'm tempted to say that the emotional state the book put me in was either nostalgic or something akin to feeling like an adolescent, but I don't think either of those is right, partly because Conroy's upbringing doesn't seem to have hardly anything in common with my own.

So there you go: a nebulous, if not downright worthless review. Read this book if you like books that transport you emotionally or that are incredibly well written without being at all flashy.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stop-Time.