Text Addict's Reviews > Range of Ghosts

Range of Ghosts by Elizabeth Bear

Apr 16, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, colors-besides-white
Read in April, 2012

This book is magnificent, and I’ve been trying to come up with a review worthy of it. Silly of me, I know, and I’ll stop now. So:

This book is magnificent. It provides all that the dedicated reader of fantasy fiction requires for a superlative reading experience – an exotic setting (quasi-Central Asia!), distinctive characters (one horse-obsessed ~mongol warrior, one ~tibetan magician, one ~arab priest/magician/villain, among others), and a sinewy plot that somehow manages to admire the scenery while racing forward to … a good stopping-point for Volume 1, with a real sting in its tail.

Things I really liked: The way the sky changes from realm to realm. The horse called Dumpling. The villain not always succeeding in controlling events. Necessity. Butterflies. The best initiation narrative that it has ever been my privilege to read. The facts that heroism requires putting one foot in front of the other on the correct path, magic requires sacrifice, and evil requires the conviction that anything – anything at all – is justified in order to reach a desired end. That sneaky, sneaky trick the villain played on the girl. And did I mention the horse?

The plot itself is not especially complicated: war and treachery and chaos-sowing evil, curses, oaths, escapes and long journeys. At a certain point, it turns into a quest story, which is fine by me.

If I may digress, I was once told that a piece of my own writing was good, but lacked “grounding.” This is, I was informed, a bit difficult to define, but consists of placing the characters in their contexts in ways that make both feel immediate, fully fleshed-out, and real. It’s tricky. Some are better at it than others. This author is excellent at it. As Temur plods across the plain, as Samarkar meditates in the dark, as al-Sepehr contemplates his deadly crystal book of spells, the characters and circumstances are as convincing as any reality you care to name.

The book is not flawless – but what book is? In this case, I find Samarkar to be rather cold, as if she’s willingly substituted dedication to her goals for everything else in life. I am uneasy with the fact that the evil guy’s religion venerates a written text, as do the monotheistic faiths in the real world (yes, he’s leader of a small cult, but he’s also the only representative of his faith that we see in this book). And every time Temur has the point of view, we get detailed descriptions of any new horse the narrative happens to introduce, which gets a little tiresome (I did mention horse-obsessed, so at least it’s consistent with his character … and can easily be skipped over).

But overall? Wow. This thing has depth; the narrative is suspended over history. It’s awesome. It’s as good as anything Guy Gavriel Kay has ever written (and better than some). You’ll see what I mean, because you are going to read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Range of Ghosts.

Mitch It's so great to read reviews like yours for this book, I was starting to feel strange that maybe I'm in a little room telling people how awesome it is and everyone disagrees or something. And the whole sky thing!

Text Addict Really? It seems to have a majority of 5 ratings now. Although it hasn't had as many reviews as (I think) it should!