melissa1lbr's Reviews > Freshman Year & Other Unnatural Disasters

Freshman Year & Other Unnatural Disasters by Meredith Zeitlin

Apr 25, 12

bookshelves: arcs, e-book, collection, young-adult, review-copy
Read from April 16 to 17, 2012

My thoughts:
I really liked Kelsey! She is really the only reason I kept reading the book. She's smart, funny, teenage, and able to take whatever comes her way. She could have spent the entire year crying in her room over everything, but she doesn't. She is tough and pushes through the embarrassment and other difficult things she deals with and is smart about it. Her views on life were so hilarious, because I remember feeling and thinking the same things, especially her crushes. I laughed a LOT in the book, but pretty much I didn't like anything else. The story seemed to have no real point, except to show one funny, embarrassing, sort of sad moment after the other. I can see how Kelsey was supposed to change over the course of the stories, but I really prefer having more story and less episodes. I was not very interested in what happened next or in any of the other characters. The seriously lax attitude of the 14-year-olds about drinking made me uncomfortable. I'm sure it happens, but I just don't think (or I guess I just don't want to think) it's quite that common at 14. There is also a bit of swearing and plenty of talk about sex with one near incident, but most is not on page. I guess this one was just not right for me!
Full review at One Librarian's Book Reviews.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Freshman Year & Other Unnatural Disasters.