Kendra's Reviews > Prize of My Heart

Prize of My Heart by Lisa Norato

Apr 16, 2012

bookshelves: first-reads
Read in April, 2012

For full review including excerpt and dialogue highlight, please visit Reader's Edyn at:

Review:

This is the first book I have read by Lisa Norato. I checked her website and saw that she had a couple of others out, so I will likely be reading them in the future. When I first read this blurb, I was intrigued. A pirate *coughs* I mean privateer … a young lasy taking care of child known as her brother, though he is not … said privateer searching for his long lost son … all tied in as a Christian historical romance. Yeah, I wanted to read it after that. So I found myself returning to my roots and enjoying yet another Christian romance book.

For those of you who don’t know, my mother gave me many Grace Livingston Hill books to try and encourage my reading, but hopefully steer me away from the … errr …. Smuttier variety I preferred. At that time it was strictly Johanna Lindsey. And she was right. I was too young to be reading those books, but I did anyway. And here I am, still loving the smut. But … she did instill in me a love of Christian romance and I do occasionally return to them from time to time. That said, let’s get back to the book.

So Brogan is a former privateer – not pirate. Although the distinction between the two for many was a thin line barely there. For me, hey ~ I love me a pirate! Brogan always wanted to captain his own ship. A difficult dream to obtain considering his harsh beginning in life. But he worked extremely hard and it finally happened. Prior to his captain position beginning, he married and had a son. But his wife was rather … ambitious ~ I guess is a good word for it. Though she had some other things going on as well. So while Brogan was away on his ship, she got rid of their son and told Brogan he would never find him. Soon after she perished in a fire and he never found out his son’s whereabouts. His purpose in life then became a focus of locating his son.

Enter Lorena. Brogan has found his son and he is living in the home of the Huntley’s as Drew. Lorena is Drew’s sister and has charge of him much of the time. Her meeting with the Captain does not begin on the right foot, but eventually the two become friends and Brogan’s world is knocked upside-down. He struggles with carrying out his plan to take his son back and the strong connection he feels with Lorena. Lorena too shares strong feelings towards Brogan. Eventually the catalyst occurs when Brogan admits who he truly is and not only one secret is revealed, an entire web of lies and deceit is unraveled. But will Brogan and Lorena be able to more forward from the devastating truth or will it destroy their delicate new-found affection?

What I really enjoyed in this story was the growth of all characters involved. Brogan starts out as a father desperate to get his son back. He hatches a plan to essentially kidnap his son away from the Huntley’s, but soon discovers a fondness for all of the Huntley’s. And when Brogan has to rescue Lorena, he realizes that fondness may be a bit more which pretty much throws a hitch in his plan. But this is not the only challenge Brogan will have to overcome, though I don’t feel I should reveal any more than I have. Lorena, too, has an epiphany of sorts when she realizes that someone she trusted was not as honorable as she had believed. She sort of blindly trust everyone and has a very good heart. But she also realizes that she should have understood signs that had always been present. But because of her nature to see the best in people, she denied existence of the negative qualities. The reader even sees growth in Drew and Mr. Huntley. Growth of character is one component I look for in a well written book.

The story was enjoyable and a pleasure to read. While lacking the physical intimacy that I generally read, I found that this story did not need such an enhancement. Prize of My Heart is beautifully written as it is and is easily a story of faith, perseverance, and inspiration. What one man holds as his greatest treasure ultimately leads him to the greatest treasure of all … the prize of his heart. I very much enjoy how Ms. Norato wraps the book up wonderfully with a sweet epilogue. I look forward to reading more of her stories in the future.

(ARC paperback won from LibraryThing; provided by author)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prize of My Heart.