Holly's Reviews > Arrows of the Night: Ahmad Chalabi's Long Journey to Triumph in Iraq

Arrows of the Night by Richard Bonin

F 50x66
Apr 16, 2012

This is an amazing book that every American should read...especially if you've paid taxes over the past decades and wonder why/where that money went vis-a-vis Iraq. It's the true story of how one man, Iraqi-born Ahmad Chalabi became a pivotal figure in American foreign policy and paved the way for involvement in the Iraq war. Written beautifully and openly by Richard Bonin, producer of 60 Minutes, the book details Chalabi's machinations from the time his family was exiled from Iraq, to his private schooling in London, college and graduate schooling in the US, to his financial corruption and exile from Jordan, and then on to spend the rest of his life trying to oust Saddam Hussein and return to Iraq to become the new leader. It describes how various members of influential politicians, spokespeople and influencers in the US (and Iran) over the course of many years listened to Chalabi and allowed themselves to be manipulated by this divisive, devious and power-hungry man. I'm not usually a reader of political fare but this is, as one reviewer put it, "a marvelous read about a tragic and deceitful relationship."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Arrows of the Night.

Libby Great review. Ironically, as I read the dollar figures that we were paying to support Chalabi's ambitions, my first thought was always about taxes. :)