Sheila's Reviews > On Dark Shores: The Lady

On Dark Shores by J.A. Clement

2039269
Apr 16, 12

bookshelves: coming-of-age, relationships, scifi-fantasy, suspense, young-adult
Read in April, 2012

It took a little while to get into J.A. Clement’s On Dark Shores, the Lady, even though I’d already read the prequel, Parallels. But perhaps I was looking for too many parallels between the stories. Characters do reappear, but the story's set later and the future's more important than the past. The evil Copeland's still ruling the port town of Scarlock and Nereia, the thief, works for him, trying to keep her younger sister safe and fed. Boxer Blakey wounds people in his master's name but might be a much deeper character than he seems. Mickel deals with the outside world. Sailors man the ships and enjoy the brothels. And hope is hard to find.

Despite its darkness, this story’s infused with the promise of something more. Mysteries lurk on the edge of revelation as Nereia and her sister make a bid for freedom. The author spares nothing in portraying the cruelties and hardships of life, but adds a pleasing human kindness and the promise of more. I was just sorry the novella finished before the “more” was revealed, giving this reader a feeling of having read only part of something really good. I hope there’ll be a sequel soon, but I guess I wish I’d held off reading until the sequel was there.

The story’s highly recommended—just a pity it’s incomplete. More please!

Disclosure: I was lucky enough to get a free ecopy from the author in a promotion. Now I’ll just have to look out for more. These characters demand it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Dark Shores.