Jonathon's Reviews > Journey to the End of the Night

Journey to the End of the Night by Louis-Ferdinand Céline

Sep 10, 2014

Read from April 16 to May 18, 2012

Bukowski was right: "first of all read Céline; the greatest writer of 2,000 years". Its clear now, Bukowski wanted to be Celine, he failed miserably with his novels though...

Anyways, "Joureny to the end of the night" is not a war novel, but still I consider it the ultimate war novel; thus far. What was said in the first hundred pages makes Catch-22 pale in comparison. Well written, funny, dark, pessimistic. Everything one person needs! I fuckin hate Catch-22 (see catch-22 review for full hatred review). But "Journey to the end of the night" is clear and concise. It also uses common language and is unpretentious. Here's some good quotes that no one cares about!

Also, great read for doctors and anyone else in a professional career for that matter. Pretty much about life (god that sounds cliche and dumb).... He writes in a format that is almost poetic in each line. I dont know how he made every paragraph packed with so much. The guy is brilliant. Its been a month since I finished it, but I still think about this book often. It resonates for awhile. One of my favorites if not my favorite.

Quotes:

"I was a kid in those days and the prison used to frighten me. I didn't yet know what men were like. I shall never again believe what they say or what they think. It is of men, and of them only, that one should always be frightened."

"The colonel's stomach was slit open and he was making an ugly face about that."

"Meanwhile I made love to her more and more often, having assured her that it would make her slim."

"Truly everything that is really interesting goes on in the dark. One knows nothing of the inner history of people."

"I tell you, worthy little people, life's riffraff, forever beaten, fleeced, and sweating, I warn you that when the great people of this world start loving you, it means that they are going to make sausage meat of you."

"He had the intellectual's vice; he was futile. The fellow knew too much and it confused him. He had to resort to a lot of tricks to kindle his own enthusiasm, to make up his mind."

"The poetry of heroism appeals irresistibly to those who don't go to a war, and even more to those whom the war is making enormously wealthy. It's always so."

** "As soon as work and the cold restrain us no longer, as soon as their stranglehold is loosened, you catch sight in the white race of what you see on a pretty beach when the tide goes out; reality, heavy-smelling pools of slime, the crabs, the carcasses and the scum."

"Any chance of cowardice is a wonderful possibility of salvation if you know what you're up to."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Journey to the End of the Night.

08/24/2016 marked as: read

Susan Bukowski failed at everything except being a nasty little drunk and misogynist.