Susana's Reviews > An Artificial Night

An Artificial Night by Seanan McGuire

Sep 22, 12

bookshelves: seanan-mcguire, favorites, urban-fantasy, 2012
Read from April 23 to 25, 2012

Amazing story. Amazing book. A fast paced adventure, for me, this is one of the best urban fantasy books that i've read in a while.
An nighmarish quest, that may just finally be Toby's death. This character, is the stuff of legends. Like her friends tell her, she is a hero, and there's nothing she will not do, once her word and heart are given to her quest. She has absolutely no self-preservation instinct, in fact, she borders on the suicidal, but she has this amazing heart, that make's her go on, long after all hope is gone.
I love reading about her world, and all her friends, who are so strange, but at the same time strangely lovable.
Oh, and i still can't wait to read more about Tybalt :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Artificial Night.

04/24/2012 page 72
20.0% "This is going to be a good story..."
04/25/2012 page 253
69.0% "Completely obsessed with this story. Amazingly perfect. The best book i've read since "The hunger games". :)"
show 2 hidden updates…

Marcia So glad you are enjoying this series, Susana. It's one of my very favorites, though I do get mad at Toby now and then for being so blind as to who the better man (cat?) really is. I mean, how glorious IS Tybalt? I absolutely love him, and I agree that the characters in her world and the politics of the Fae are just marvelous. It's a wonderful romp, every single time.

Susana Yes, i am really enjoying it. I love the way it is written. And i have thoroughly enjoyed all the plots of the books _ the second being the one that i liked the least.
All the characters have taken a life of their own, one feels that, they're not there only to fill the pages. I absolutely love May. I expected to hate her, and now she's like the sister we all want. And the way her interactions with Toby has made this last one, more humane. She was so alone and sad on the first book, and now, Toby seems like a completely different person.
But i really dont see, what she sees (sigh) in Connor! Really, i dont! He's a nice guy _selkie _ but he just isn't strong enough to support her. And i absolutely love Tybalt. I completely agree with you Marcia, Toby, really needs to have her eyes checked! For heaven sake, she completely took the guy's leather coat as hostage and has no intention of giving it back. Then in "late eclipses" he kept telling her "come back to me". What more does she need?
I see Connor as this passive character who will always do, what he is told. For me he will always be a pawn. I would really like seeing Toby and Tybalt as a couple.

Marcia You have hit the nail on the head, Susana. Connor is an annoying little wimp, to me, who is always whining about REEEEEALLY loving Toby, but isn't man enough to stand up to his parents for her, and marries a crazy loon, instead. If he was worth anything, he would have flatly refused to do that. And yeah, I was mad at Toby for ignoring Tybalt's plaintive "Come back to me," too. GAH. Some people have to be hit up beside the head with a 2 x 4 before they see the light, I think!
*grin*

I agree with you on May, too. I was horrified when she showed up, but have learned to love her. I even love the awful sea hag (can't think of her name). And I enjoy all the lesser characters, like the rose goblin, etc. It's such a fun world! Wait until you get to the end of the last book, One Salt Sea. Oooh, mermaids and adventures galore! Is it available for you yet?

message 4: by Susana (last edited Apr 28, 2012 05:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susana Yes, i also like Toby's crazy aunt Luideag, the sea witch, and spike, the rose goblin. Didn't like what happened to Lily, but it had to happened, right? To give a new direction to the story. But i will miss her, she was another great character.
In fact i am almost done with "One salt sea", i'm on the phase where Toby has summoned the night aunts to see if they're able to tell her anything about Gilly and the two missing boys. And then we'll have to wait until September until "ashes of honor" is released...
Oh, and i was forgetting something important:
you're right.. Connor really is a little wimp! If Rayseline hadn't donne what she did, he would still be with her!

Marcia Yeah...Connor The Annoying Wimp! Long Rule Tybalt!! In fact, my next male cat is going to be named Tybalt. I love it. I love all the references to Shakespeare in each of her titles and throughout her books. It's fun watching for them.

She has a new series started now, and the first one is Discount Armageddon. I just loved the book, and found a ton of funny things about it, even with the dramatic bits. Quite a different mood than the Toby Daye series, but the first book makes me feel it's going to be every bit as good. Heck, the Aeslin mice alone are worth the read. I want some for myself. I could use some little tiny minions, greeting me as a goddess every day. If you haven't read it, I think you would really enjoy it.

Susana I've just finished "One salt sea". And i have to say that i didn't like the way the whole "love triangle" was resolved! I would have liked for Toby to have chosen between one of them...
Regarding "discount armageddon" it is on my to read list! Hopefully i'll read it in the next months.

Marcia Susana wrote: "I've just finished "One salt sea". And i have to say that i didn't like the way the whole "love triangle" was resolved! I would have liked for Toby to have chosen between one of them...
Regarding ..."

SPOILERS GALORE!!......

I have a slightly different take on it. For me, Toby is a very likable, but flawed, character, and I think she DID choose...from a point of blindness and loyalty to her childhood relationship. She couldn't have made a worse choice, really, and I think on some level, she knew it, but probably wasn't likely to back down from it any time soon.

It didn't bother me one bit to have it resolved the way it was, because I think Toby could have spent another 15 years in a going-nowhere relationship that she couldn't bring herself to give up on. Yeah, it would have been nice had she seen it for what it was, & moved on, but she didn't. At least, that's MY sense of it. And at least Connor somewhat redeemed himself at the end.

I will say I was VERY glad to find out Toby had at least tried to CALL Tybalt and talk to him. I was pretty mad at her at the end of the previous book for just waltzing off with Connor without a saying word to Tybalt. Just totally ignoring his obvious feelings for her. So it mattered to me that she at least made an effort to talk to him, even if he wasn't responding.

But I have suspicions about Tybalt. I think he "knows" things, possibly about the future, and definitely about Toby. He knew what she really was, for instance, long before she found out herself. And I always get the feeling he knows more, but isn't ready to say anything yet. I think that's connected to why she couldn't reach him, and why he's been waiting so patiently for her to wake up and really SEE the King of Cats waiting for her.

I can't WAIT for the next book now...aaah, these series that leave us dying for the next installment!

Hope you enjoy Discount Armageddon as much as I did. Just the entire concept of a super-heroine who only wants to be a ballroom dancer cracks me UP!!!

Susana Yes, for me the fact that she ended up with Connor, was related to the fact that the relationship that they had in the past, had never been resolved. She was deemed not good enough for a relationship with a fullblood, and he was punished for it. So they didn't have a chance to see where their romance would take them. You're probably right, she would't have broken up with him, because she liked him, and he liked her. I think what they had was good enough for her...( and i know that i using the expression "enough"...)
Tybalt on the other hand, just when we're expecting things to change between him and Toby just disappears. Unlike you, i really have no clue why. Yes, he does know much more that he's telling. But i really hope that in the next book he starts hanging around more, and not just when she's in mortal danger, which is very gallant of him, but frustrating as hell. Then, when i start thinking about the possiblity of a relationship between the two of them, i start to wonder if that's even possible. He's a caithe sidhe, and their king. And i just hope that this doesn't get transformed in a shakespeare drama. I really liked "Too much ado about nothing", but i'm not a big fan of "Romeo and Juliet". Of course if Juliet carried the blades that Toby carries, and if Romeo was anything like Tybalt, those two would probably had another "finale". LOL

message 9: by Marcia (last edited Apr 29, 2012 07:04AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marcia Yeah, Tybalt's mysterious wanderings leave me curious, too, but I think we will find out all, eventually. And I am firmly convinced Tybalt is on the Right Side, throughout. I just feel his inherent goodness in the things he does, mysterious or not.

I have every faith that Toby will get her Happily Ever After moment at some point, and I'm SERIOUSLY hoping it's with Tybalt. I think they would be an unstoppable pair, myself, each complementing the other to perfection. (If not forever, at LEAST I want a really good romantic moment with them...we NEED to have that connection with Tybalt at some point, just to satisfy those of us who love The King of Cats so much!!)

I don't see a Romeo & Juliet scenario in their future. And I'm hoping that's NOT the future Seanan McGuire sees, either. That would NOT be satisfactory for me, in any way.

As for Connor, I think HE is the only reason they didn't have a chance to see where their romance would have gone. If he'd made a stand, renounced his family's decisions for him, and stood with Toby, no matter what...well, then they COULD have had a future, and it would have meant he was probably strong enough for her. Instead, he did what his family wanted, but then had the nerve to keep sneaking around, trying to seduce Toby every chance he got. All moony-eyed and pathetic. Ack!!! If he chose to follow his family's wishes, he should have been man enough to leave Toby ALONE and let her find her OWN happiness. Instead, he just kept tormenting her and trying to have it both ways for himself. (You can see I REALLY disliked him.) To my mind, he had no honor at all, until the very end.

Tybalt is the King, but Connor was just an alley cat. I hope Toby finally realizes that, and that she begins to recognize just what she could have with Tybalt. (Which, for my money, would pretty much be fantastic.)

Susana LOL, you really dislike Connor more that i did! I didn't think that was possible! What i thought when Connor got shot with the "arrow-elf", or something, was that he would be a "sleeping-selkie" for around a hundred years...and that would give Toby some perspective...unless of course, she would consider herself bound to wait for him. That would really kill the mood between her and Tybalt.
I didn't like Connor's behaviour in the second book, in fact, he's been my least favourite character of them all, but i would have liked for him and Toby to simply part ways.

message 11: by Marcia (last edited Apr 29, 2012 07:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marcia Hahaha...yeah, I have a real problem with wimpy men who want to have their wives & their girlfriends, too. (Don't even ask why!) *grin*

"Since the moment that Tybalt appeared with his snarky remarks, that i've been hoping to see the two of them together. He is a honourable character, who has been there for Toby, almost every time she has gotten herself into a mess. So, i'm really looking forward to the next book. Hope that one, will finally bring some_ most awaited_ changes in the romantic relationship between those two."

We are in total agreement on this part, though! Can't wait to see how it all turns out.

Negine You guys! I loved reading this awesome discussion thread. So fun to go back and reflect in all the story threads and a certain Cait Sidhe's mysterious ways ;) - particularly after having read Ashes of Honor!

Susana Oh, like us, Marcia is another Tybalt fan!! :) lol

Aren't you Marcia???

Yeah, Connor with us, really didn't have a chance!! No way!! How could he, compared with Tybalt?! :)

Marcia Well, there you have me, Negine. You and Susana have both read Ashes of Honor, and I haven't. It's next on my list, sitting in my To Be Read basket, right on top, so I can pet it every time I walk by. I'm tormenting myself with it!

I received it the same day I got the final volume in the Vampire Empires series, and I decided to read that first. It was a tough choice, but I NEEDED some time with The Greyfriar, immediately. Turns out this book doesn't feel as strong as the first two, though I AM enjoying it. But I think I may have actually saved the best for last, as I'm thinking I'm going to really enjoy Ashes of Honor. I am not reading any reviews yet, because I don't want to spoil it for myself, but just knowing there is a lot of Tybalt in it makes me pretty sure it's going to rank really high with me.

Glad you had fun reading our ramblings. And by any chance, did you pick up on the fact that I really, reeeeeeally hated Connor? :)

Marcia Oh, yeah, Susana! When I think of him I wanna SQUEEEEEEEEEEE like a silly fan-girl!!

message 16: by Susana (last edited Sep 25, 2012 10:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susana Oh My God, i'm laughing so hard i've started to cry, or maybe i'm just sounding like that character dog on Hanna Barbera(?) cartoons about some crazy dudes that entered on some insane car races....lol

Marcia "Oh, good! Then my job here is DONE," says she, whisking away to commune with The Greyfriar yet again. The sooner I finish my "communing" with him, the sooner I can START communing with Tybalt! (Insert more squeeeeing here!)

Hehehe.

Hey, Negine, come visit me on my blog, Bookin' It if you haven't been by already. You might find some stuff you enjoy.

Negine Marcia wrote: "Well, there you have me, Negine. You and Susana have both read Ashes of Honor, and I haven't. It's next on my list, sitting in my To Be Read basket, right on top, so I can pet it every time I wal..."

Hi Marcia! um yeah I think it's safe to say we all hated Connor in various degrees lol! you need to HURRY and finish the Greyfriar books so you can get to some Tybalt goodness :) and prepare yourself for some serious fangirl squeeing ...I know I did! HaHa

Negine Susana wrote: "Oh My God, i'm laughing so hard i've started to cry, or maybe i'm just sounding like that character dog on Hanna Barbera(?) cartoons about some crazy dudes that entered on some insane car races....lol"

Too funny :)))

Negine Marcia wrote: ""Oh, good! Then my job here is DONE," says she, whisking away to commune with The Greyfriar yet again. The sooner I finish my "communing" with him, the sooner I can START communing with Tybalt! ..."

Nice blog! You know what Marcia I remember reading your discussions in the "A Perfect Blood" threads - I like how you think....You're also a huge Trent, I mean Hollows fan ;), right?

Marcia Yep! I LOVE Trent. Always have. He has something deep inside him that is slowly coming to the fore. And I will be very disappointed if he doesn't end up with Rachel. I think they have been destined for each other since camp, and no matter what their differences are, the attraction always shows through, loud and clear.

Let's face it, when you look at her other men, she's not been making very good choices. Yeah, I liked Kisten, but he wasn't really life partner material. I wish he hadn't died, but he would never have satisfied Rachel long term. And other than that, who have we had? A rat...in every sense of the word. A wimp who ran when she was threatened by the witch's council. A ghost from another century who couldn't even get THAT dialect right. A red-skinned, goat-eyed demon. REALLY? Like any of those would be better than Trent? I don't theeeenk so! It sounds like a bad joke: A vampire, a rat, a wimp, a ghost and a demon walked into a bar.....

So, Team Trent for me, all the way. That's my story, an' I'm stickin' TO it. And hoping Kim Harrison feels the same way.

Glad you liked the blog. There are lots of reviews and quotes and cover art posts and stuff coming up. I only started it a few weeks ago, so I'm just building it, but I hope it's going to be a fun place to stop by, and I hope you'll visit often. I was surprised today to realize my 100th post is coming up already. Gah. I talk a LOT. *grin*

message 22: by Susana (last edited Sep 25, 2012 12:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susana OH, i'm really behind that series. The last one that i read was the one that ended with Kist dead!!!! Arggh
Didn't like THAT one bit! And then she and Ivy.....no.
So i know who the RAT is, and the demon....but there's going to be a WIMP and a GHOST? lol
Looks like i have a lot of catching up to do!

Marcia Oh, yes, Susana! You must get caught up on the Hollows. So many, many things going on...hint...Jenks isn't little in EVERY BOOK. Now think about that for awhile.

I don't like Ivy much, sad to say. Mostly because she's always angry and pouting or trying to seduce Rachel, no matter how often Rachel tries to tell her she's not interested. Ivy annoys me. But the books continue to get more complicated with more and more characters, and so I just overlook her. And she does calm down a bit, and treats Rachel with more respect.

But I love Jenks, and Trent, and Rachel's interactions with Big Al, and Trent, and her getting in touch with who she REALLY is, and...oh yes...TRENT.

*snort*

Negine I second what Marcia said...the last few Hollows books have been superb!

Marcia Negrine, did you get The Hollows Insider? It is one of the coolest books I've ever seen. It's like getting your hands on all the secret records and files, and journal entries, and inter-office memos from all the players in the Hollows. It is SO much fun! If you haven't seen it, check it out. In fact, buy it. As a fan of the Hollows, you won't be disappointed. And I'm counting down the days until Into The Woods comes out.