karen's Reviews > How to Boil Water: Life Beyond Takeout

How to Boil Water by Jennifer Darling

Apr 17, 2012

bookshelves: eats
Read on April 16, 2012

four stars because the food network is my guiding angel, and i support any book or magazine they put out because they have always been inventive in their recipes, clear in their directions, and i love the photography in this, and all of their books.

but, it is a cookbook for beginners, so if you are practically a celebrity chef like me, a lot of the techniques and tips will be old news.

but - man - those pictures.

for example, i make an amazing lasagna. but the picture of the one in here still makes me a little wistful. although i am sure mine can kick its butt. when i make lasagna, that pan weighs the same as a three-year-old with a twinkie habit.

and there is a vegetable gratin in here that is so beautiful with its alternating layers of green and yellow squash and red tomatoes,that i almost don't want to cover it with slabs of meat.

almost.

and i am definitely going to use the recipe for migas next monday. but i will probably irish it up with some black pudding instead of chorizo. 'cuz us celebrity chefs have pizazz!

this is one of those books i drool over while already eating my monday-afternoon big breakfast. it makes no sense to read cookbooks while eating, i know, but it's just something i do, my version of relaxing with the crossword over coffee.

and i love that even though i know a lot of this stuff already, it is all gathered together for easy access should i suddenly forget how long beets need to be roasted, or what baby spinach is good for.

there are still some valuable recipes like pb&j wings, which i think is why i initially bought the book. i have a serious weakness for all things pbj.

and although i did say i loved all the food network's publications, and love to support them in all they do for the world of food, i would be a bad friend to greg if i didn't include this picture:

sorry, food network, even my love has limits.

now i am going to go lie down and frantically try to digest all that i have forced into myself. i am like a giant snake...full of breakfast meats and tomatoes...
33 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Boil Water.

message 1: by Esteban (new)

Esteban del Mal I can't stand that guy.

karen i know. he is poison to greg.

message 3: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! karen wrote: "...all that i have forced into myself."

message 4: by Mariel (new)

Mariel I'm going to marry Michael Symon. Even though he's married and it would be a total conflict of interest with my vegetarianism.

karen he has cupcake feet!

message 6: by Mariel (new)

Mariel I don't know why but he's so sexy to me. His laugh is ridiculous! At least I'm not one of those freaks with a yin for Aaron Sanchez.

karen anyone who cooks is sexy to me, frankly.

except guy fieri. we gotta have standards. oh, and rachel ray is pretty irritating, but i have liked her books.

message 8: by Mariel (new)

Mariel Fieri doesn't cook. He utters catch phrases, looks like a butt hole, makes a yum face and genuinely is a douche bag. And he called Rachel Ray his sister from another mister!?

karen also: terrible shirts.

message 10: by Mariel (new)

Mariel He's disgusting. He disgusts me. I'm disgusted.

karen hahaahh i love the strong reactions about him!!! down with fieri!!!

message 12: by Mariel (new)

Mariel He should be made to watch his own show!

True story: I know an old dude who went on a road trip to eat at those restaurants from his show. He didn't die confirming my suspicion of cockroach ancestry (I'm mean but this man makes you want to kill things).

message 13: by B0nnie (new)

B0nnie looks like he's from the Capitol

message 14: by s.penkevich (new)

s.penkevich Ha awesome, they just had this on NPR the other day and it sounded interesting

message 15: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Hey, Karen, what with all the meat that you consume, have you ever seriously considered changing your name to "Karen Brisket"?

karen never! unless i meet a nice young man so named...