Ashley's Reviews > White Cat

White Cat by Holly Black

Jun 08, 12

bookshelves: 2012, espionage-thievery, fantasy, mystery, urban-fantasy, young-adult
Read from May 03 to June 06, 2012

I picked up this book after seeing authors, who don't write fantasy or often talk about reading fantasy, rave about the 3rd book in the series. Holly Black had never really been high on my reading list because her books are darker than I tend to read, and so this series was completely off my radar. However, I understand the appeal.

The world of Cassell Sharpe isn't too different from ours, but he belongs to a family of magic Workers. His mother works emotion, his grandfather death, a brother memory. Cassell is the black sheep, left in the dark by the rest of his family, a non-worker with blank spots in his memory. One memory stands out, though: that he killed the girl he loved. The world he knows falls apart when he's suspended from his boarding school to receive a psychological evaluation and is forced to clean up his parents' house with his grandfather. From there it spirals into an urban fantasy noir revolving around a nephew trying to take control of his uncle's crime family. It's a long-instated plan that revolves around Cassell, dependent on him not remembering his part.

I did really enjoy the book. The beginning was a little slow going for me. Too many unanswered questions without enough hooks to keep me turning pages. Still, the book was never boring. After about 120 pages, it was much harder to put down. Part of what makes it so interesting is you don't really like Cassell. You like him well enough to root for him, but you know he's a crook, and cons people when he shouldn't, but you feel for him when he gets conned. He's very real.

Great read, definitely plan on reading the rest of the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Cat.