Kerry's Reviews > The Cricket in Times Square

The Cricket in Times Square by George Selden

May 07, 12

bookshelves: childrens-lit, library-books-returned, reviewed
Read in April, 2012

Although I never read "The Cricket in Times Square" by George Selden as a child, I enjoyed having the experience of reading it now. The story is a touching, yet still exciting, tale of personal growth that both parents and children would be able to empathize with.

New York City takes on a personality of its own in Selden’s writing. I enjoyed his representation of its many different parts and the people that could be found throughout its streets. Chinatown, the subway station and even Central Park all had themes that I believe NYC natives would easily identify with. This setting mimics the sense of both comfort and adjustment that every character seems to face at some point in the story.

I also appreciate the inclusion of music in this story as well. Its role as a universal form of communication and love is still a strong theme for today, despite the fact that this book was first published in 1960. Even if a child does not understand the specific opera pieces that are mentioned, music can be brought into the home or classroom so that they may come to see it as a language all its own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cricket in Times Square.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin (new)

Erin Germain I've never read this, but I do remember an animated program when I was little. I always liked the story, and reading it might be fun.