Canread's Reviews > Miss Seetoh in the World

Miss Seetoh in the World by Catherine Lim

U_50x66
Apr 16, 12

Read in April, 2012

In this detailed account, Lim explores Singaporean customs, politics and societal particularities. She mostly gives voice to women in their subjugated state through marriage and child rearing despite their place as contributors to a modern society, and to politics which show Singapore as a quasi-totalitarian state: benign in its application but limiting and oppressing nonetheless.
There are lengthy passages: I put the book down for a while - this is an expository novel not a wild action packed one! But once I got again into the flow of the story, connected with Maria's moral qualms and need for freedom in a stifling society, I devoured the pages. The ending is rather abrupt, with Maria's voice suddenly retreating, but it nicely captured the title: Maria has finally found her place in the world, realizing the constant balancing of external pressures and internal desires.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Seetoh in the World.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gabriel (new) - added it

Gabriel Lit Thank you for your review I would like to read more about this book.