Forest Juziuk's Reviews > Low Budget Hell Making Underground Movies with John Waters

Low Budget Hell Making Underground Movies with John Waters by Robert G. Maier

U_50x66
Apr 16, 12

In the afterward, it's noted that Waters commented that the unauthorized manuscript of Low Budget Hell was without humor. While there are some laughs from the early years, much of the book has an eye turned toward number crunching, bitterness & old feuds. It can get dark but it's mostly dry; that the author has mostly written textbooks should come as no great shock. And while I plowed through this book in less than 48 hours, the aftertaste was not kind. I kept coming back to the note on Waters reaction & have to fall back on a quote from Woody Allen: "The audience has a right when they sit down, to be entertained." I will say that Maier is excellent at handling various types of information & stories with equal attention. That said, you will read just as much about how much craft services cost the budget on every single film Maier and Waters worked on as you will behind the scenes stories. If you want to be entertained by the latter, this is not the place to do it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Low Budget Hell Making Underground Movies with John Waters.