C.E.'s Reviews > The Stolen Crown: The Secret Marriage that Forever Changed the Fate of England

The Stolen Crown by Susan Higginbotham

F_50x66
Apr 16, 12

Why is it any take on Richard III and his older brother must demonize someone? SKPenmantagged. Buckingham, this one paints Richard3 as wholy responsible for all evils. From what I have read, the way the boys vanished was damaging to Richard, so why would he do it so stupidly? He was noted for his caution in most else, tho he did have a temper...yet he was trusted with his nieces by their mother, which argues against her believing he killed her sons. Buckingham was known to be a hothead and not asrute politically, so he makes a better suspect, and he DID rebel, to either claim the throne himself or for Tudor....in any case, neither man can be exonerated or blamed entirely on what is known.

as for whether or not Ed4 had a previous betrothal that negated his marriage... he was a womanizer extraordinaire, and it is just as probable as not.

For a take on this period, SKPenman with Sunne in Splendour did far better and was more convincing in her interpretation, IMO. I think her scholarship is better. Always a winner with me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stolen Crown.