Blythe's Reviews > Hemlock

Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock

5206717
Hemlock is quite possibly the best werewolf book that I’ve read. It’s not like I’ve read that many, but this was still amazing.

Hemlock follows Mackenzie (Mac), and her longing to uncover the truth about the mysterious death of her best friend, Amy. Of course, things get in the way of her journey to uncover the truth, one of those things being a group of werewolf hunters known as The Trackers. As more secrets of the seemingly quiet and peaceful town of Hemlock unfold, Mackenzie realizes she may have gotten herself into a dangerous situation, and now, there’s no turning back.

Right from the beginning, I knew Hemlock and I were going to get along well. There’s not much action for the first half of the novel, but that doesn’t mean it was boring at all. I couldn’t have turned the pages faster, and with each chapter, more and more is revealed about the mystery of Amy Walsh’s death, all the way to a boiling conclusion that I did not see coming.

The characters in Hemlock, especially Mackenzie, were handled expertly, and had so much depth to them it felt like I could reach out and hug them. Mackenzie is an amazing heroine, and didn’t take no for an answer. There’s also Kyle and Jason, who are great characters as well, although I wanted Jason to die desperately throughout most of the book. Hell, maybe I still do. But, given that’s what I assume Peacock’s intention was, I suppose that’s a good thing that she made me feel such strong feelings towards a character. I also really liked the character of Mackenzie’s cousin, Tess, because she provided somewhat of a comic relief.

The mystery of Hemlock was much better than I expected it to be, and with each and every plot twist I found myself gasping aloud. Like I had mentioned earlier in the review, the ending came as a complete shock to me, although I was a little disappointed in it, but that’s only because the theories I had in my head were a bit more complicated, and the ending in Hemlock was a little simple.

Peacock’s writing is excellent, and I absolutely loved the chapters in which Amy visited Mackenzie in her dreams (that was probably my favorite thing about Hemlock). The portrayal of how much a death of a friend could change your life, and that you’d do anything to find justice for that person was done amazingly, and I found myself tearing up quite a few times throughout this book.

Overall, I really enjoyed Hemlock, and I recommend it for anyone who is looking for a fresh take on the werewolf genre, but at the same time, something so much more than that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hemlock.

05/12/2012
10.0% "Aww. I didn't know this would be sad!"
05/12/2012
21.0% "Mackenzie is awesome! I hope she remains this kick-ass throughout the whole book."
31.0% "Dear Jason,

You're an ass, and I hope you die.

Sincerely,
Blythe"
05/13/2012
53.0% "This book is freaking awesome.

*happy dance*
"
05/13/2012
81.0% "This love triangle is confusing me... Is it even a love triangle?"

Comments (showing 1-14)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 14: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie Looks like my type of a read, I'm sticking this one into my Amazons Wishlist, thanks:).

Blythe You're welcome! I got this one from Edelweiss, and it's really good so far. I really think that this is a book you'll like, Stephanie.

message 12: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie I'm currently reading one of my dtb right now. I gotta restart on the series again, I'm on book 5 of 12.
I will look into it more though when I get the chance:). I'll look forward to your review.

Blythe Just finished it, Stephanie. I really liked it!

Giselle Yay so glad you liked it! I agree the characters were fabulously written! I loved the triangle too it was so different. I also wanted to both kill, and love Jason! haha. Great review, Blythe!

Blythe Thanks, Giselle! I think Peacock did a really good job at changing my thoughts of Jason towards the end. I'm still not too crazy about him, though. Who's team would you say you're on?

Giselle At the end I couldn't decide. I love both for different reasons. Don't make me choose! :(

Blythe Haha, okay, okay! I can't wait until the next book, especially since Hemlock ended on a cliffhanger, although it wasn't huge. I think I'm leaning a little more towards Team Kyle.

Giselle I think me too maybe a little. But I also think book 2 will make me more leaning towards Jason.

Blythe That's what I think, too. Kyle had a lot more moments to shine and win the hearts of readers than Jason, so in book 2 I think it'll be Jason's turn.

message 4: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie I added it to my Wishlist for now Blythe:). I'm trying to catch up on my longer reads for rest of this year.

message 3: by AH (new) - added it

AH This looks interesting. Great review!

message 2: by Dominika (new)

Dominika I really want to read this one soon. Great review!

Blythe Thanks, AH and Dominika!