Angela's Reviews > Watership Down

442036
Dec 06, 12

bookshelves: classics
Read from November 26 to December 06, 2012

These rabbits led a simple life at the Sandleford Warren, doing their rabbit business and building a thriving little community. But one day, Fiver has a vision. His brother, Hazel, tries to convince him that destruction is not in the warren's immediate future, but Fiver remains convinced that they must evacuate. When the Chief Rabbit refuses, though, they go themselves—and take a group with them on their big adventure.

All right, it's a story about rabbits. They're leaving home, and they're traveling, and there are few things I dislike more than (1) animal stories, and (2) travel stories. But... I like rabbits. And their adventures aren't just getting into trouble and finding a new home. The woods are dangerous and scary. They have to cross a river, but they don't even know what a river is. They encounter unnamed natural predators. It's a scary world out there.

It's not just about rabbits. It's about survival, and it's about fighting for your beliefs and what's right. Hazel is a natural-born leader, and he develops into the role. His comrade, Bigwig, is a lovable brute of a rabbit who learns his own place in their new warren. And they make non-rabbit friends, ordinarily unheard of, who ultimately help them survive.

It's a tough tale to get though, I won't lie. But I adored it even more than I expected to (and I have a soft spot for rabbits to begin with).
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Watership Down.