babyhippoface's Reviews > Apples and Oranges: Going Bananas with Pairs

Apr 16, 12

it was ok
bookshelves: humor, kids-picture-books
Read in April, 2012

This is one of the weirdest books I've seen in a while. It's sort of a one-joke book. I read it aloud to a group of 2nd graders the other day just to see how they'd react, and I think I can predict how it might go for you. Kind of like this....

First page: How are an apple and an orange alike?
Stop here and get kids to answer. They'll have good answers, like they're both fruits, you eat them both, they grow on trees.
Turn the page and read, "They both don't wear glasses."
Kids: "HUH??"
Read the next line: How are a bicycle and a motorcycle alike? Again, kids will give you good, logical answers (for the most part).
Turn the page and read, "They both don't work in a bank."
Kids: "WHAT?! That's stupid!"
And continue on in this manner.

I think my kids got a little tired of it after 5 or 6 spreads. If the ending had been really clever it might've made up for it, but it wasn't. Instead, they just rolled their eyes and made equally illogical guesses. Some of them had a little fun with it, but most of them were slightly annoyed, I think.

At first I had hoped this book would be good for encouraging out-of-the-box thinking, but it really isn't. There is no "right" answer for any of the questions, so it's not like they can figure anything out. Basically, any answer other than the obvious is right. It's a lot like Cliff Claven on Jeopardy: Who are three people who have never been in my kitchen?" Exactly, Cliff. Exactly.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Apples and Oranges.