Diane Will's Reviews > The Shoemaker's Wife

The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigiani

Feb 09, 14

bookshelves: bookcrossing
Read from January 24 to February 09, 2014

Finished this one quite quickly and I really enjoyed it. Having read 'The Big Stone Gap' trilogy I thought I would be in for a good read and wasn't disappointed.

Based loosely on the experience of her grandparents Adriana, to me, writes this with a slight feeling of personal family history. The lives of two young people, Ciro and Enza, in Italy are transported in separate storylines over the vastness of the ocean journey to start new lives in America. From humble beginnings, circumstances separate the families and Enza and her father travel to America. Ciro has to say goodbye to his brother, and their safe home within the surrounds of the local convent, where they were left to be looked after by their mother. Fate brings them together on more than one occasion, until they eventually join in marriage.

With elements of sadness, love, faith, friendships and most of all the strong ties of the family bond, this was a gentle and touching story. From starting out with barely anything at all they make lives for themselves working hard to make things work. I liked the gentleness of the descriptions of the way of life, the surroundings etc. You really got a feel for where they lived in Italy and America.

I did shed a tear which was going to be inevitable at the end of one of chapters though, but that is life.

Yes I did enjoy this one and would recommend if you like Adriana Trigiani.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shoemaker's Wife.

05/28 marked as: to-read
01/24 marked as: currently-reading
01/24 page 30
6.0% "Just started this one yesterday and already sucked in..going to be a good read."
02/04 page 334
70.0% "Not taking me long to whizz through this one...really enjoying the read."
02/09 marked as: read