Jessica's Reviews > Saving You, Saving Me

Saving You, Saving Me by Kailin Gow

Apr 17, 12

bookshelves: books-i-own
Read from April 16 to 17, 2012

I really really really wanted to like this book more than I did, but at the end I just felt like it was okay. One of my biggest pet peeves when reading a book is unrealistic dialogue and I felt like a majority of the dialogue in this book was just not believable.

Sam is likable enough, but the way she's constantly described as "mature for her age" and being so gorgeous got annoying. How likely is it that every single man in her life was in love with her? She's only 18 yet a 27-year-old, a 24-year-old, and a 21-year-old were in love with her. Even though she's mature for her age, that doesn't mean that every guy she runs into should instantly love her.

Working at a teen help phone center, Sam has many conversations with troubled teens. There's real emotion and problems discussed in the book, but the way those conversations go seem too perfectly scripted and not realistic enough. It's a cool added aspect towards Sam's character, I just wish they talked like normal teens would talk.

I loved Collins' whole batboy image, but I hated his secret addiction that stemmed from his childhood. And who the heck makes a girl sign a contract that she has to be reachable 24/7? He sounds crazy, not needy. I wish his problems weren't so extreme and just plain weird. I don't want to give anything away, but the last thing he wanted Sam to agree to on his Girlfriend Contract was not what I was expected nor what I wanted at all.

The idea for this story was cute and held a lot of potential, but the overall experience just fell short for me. I got the emotions and the depth to Sam and Collins' relationship, but some things just were not realistic. Maybe the next book will be better!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saving You, Saving Me.