Katie's Reviews > The Midwife's Apprentice

The Midwife's Apprentice by Karen Cushman

Apr 16, 12

bookshelves: young-adult
Read on April 16, 2012

The Midwife's Apprentice is about a girl who feels as if she has no place in the world. It is set in fourteenth century England in a small village consisting of unfortunate people. The girl, Alyce, is taken in by a midwife and given shelter and little food in place of work. She is to aid the midwife by helping deliver babies, gather fruits and herbs for potions, and to cook. Alyce feels she has no home, no friends, no family, nothing. Throughout the novel Alyce makes friends with a cat, Edward, and a boy who used to tease her named will. She makes her journey from being homeless, to the midwife's apprentice, to an inn girl, and back to the midwife's apprentice.

The Midwife's Apprentice lacks character development, imagery, appropriate tone, and reader interest. This is by far one of the worst books I have ever read. This novel did not interest me. At times the novel made no sense and became difficult to read. I feel this book lacked purpose or I did not understand it. I would not recommend this book to anyone especially middle school readers. This book will not be on my optional read bookshelf in the classroom or be taught to the class.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Midwife's Apprentice.