Jamie (LadyJai) Dement's Reviews > Nether Bound

Nether Bound by Bonnie Rae

Jun 05, 12

Read from April 16 to June 04, 2012

This is the second self-published/indie book I've read that I actually really enjoyed. In a row, no less. Maybe I am getting better at picking the good ones out of the haystack.

There were some definite flaws with editing on occasion. Not too many, but when they showed, they always seem to jump out of the page at me. Maybe because it is the fact that I am a writer too. I don't know. But editing mistakes (i.e. spelling, punctuation, and wrong words used) really make me stumble when I read. There weren't as many in Ms. Rae's book as I have encountered in many other self-pubbed/indie books. So, I'm keeping this at a minimum. (I would have loved to have done a line-by-line critique/edit for her on this. Not everyone can see every error. Even the big 6. And I believe that having at least one or two betas/critiques that are good with copy editing, as well as a professional copy editor, are essential.)

Overall, I enjoyed reading this book. It was a fast-paced, easy to read story with engaging scenes. With Ms. Rae's choice of 1st person of the two main characters, I struggled at first, but it allowed the reader to get into the head of both Ava and Devon. The book was definitely filled with strong emotions. As a reader, though, I felt more connected with Ava. Because this is the first in a series, I was left wondering what happens next and can't wait to read the next installment.

ASIDE: I've been contacted by the author. She informs me that there is a new version available and hopefully all the editing mistakes have been caught and fixed.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nether Bound.