Rebekka Steg's Reviews > The God Delusion

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

Apr 16, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, christianity, islam, judaism, non-fiction, philosophy, religion, psychology
Read from May 15 to 28, 2012

Recently I finished reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. It was actually recommended to me back in 2006, when it was first published, and I sincerely wish I had read it sooner. Not only does Dawkins clearly show the lack of any evidence suggesting the existence of a god, he also shows how the idea of a god might first have arisen in human psychology, and why belief in god can be damaging to us.

The author raises so many important questions, such as:

Why aren’t we allowed to question religious beliefs, the way we question all other beliefs?
Why do we automatically accept the ‘crazy’ beliefs of ‘our’ religion, when we can easily spot ‘crazy’ beliefs of other religions?
Why do we automatically assume ‘our’ religion is the right one, when our religion for the vast majority is merely based on where we happened to be born?
Why do we allow our children to be taught these things as the ‘ultimate truth’, when they are too young to question these beliefs?
I greatly recommend this book, The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. It is very well-written, easy to read and well-researched. And yes, I also recommend it if you are a religious person. Allow yourself to question your beliefs, especially if you are merely following in the footsteps of your parents, at least take an honest, genuine look at what the ‘opposite’ side has to say.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The God Delusion.

05/17/2012 page 80