Teena in Toronto's Reviews > The Opposite of Tidy

The Opposite of Tidy by Carrie Mac

Apr 16, 12

bookshelves: canadian
Read in April, 2012

Junie doesn't have an easy life. She's failing math, even though her pal, Otto, is tutoring her. Marla, her mother, is a hoarder who doesn't shower and spends her days and nights in a chair ordering stuff off the Shopping Channel. Junie knows that if anyone finds out how serious the situation is with Marla, Social Services wouldn't let her live there any more and who would take care of her mother? Her dad had hired a life coach last year to help her mother but he ended up leaving Marla for the life coach, who Junie now despises and views as a homewrecker.

Along comes Wade, the new guy in school, and he likes her. Embarrassed and ashamed of her mother and their house, Junie tells him that her friend, Tabitha's house is hers and Mrs. D. is her mother. They get close and start dating.

That's a lot for a teenager to handle. Junie knows she's enabling her mom but when she tries to stand up to her, Marla lays the guilt trip on her. She's all her mother has.

Marla realizes she has an illness and makes a decision that she think will set her on the path of getting well ... but is she truly ready?

Though I'd consider this a book for young adults, I enjoyed it and would recommend it. The writing style kept me interested as did the story. I can't imagine anyone living like this. The tone is fairly serious as Junie struggles handle everything.

Blog review: http://www.teenaintoronto.com/2012/04...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Opposite of Tidy.