Ruth Hill's Reviews > Pulled

Pulled by Amy Lichtenhan

Apr 23, 12

bookshelves: romance
Read from April 16 to 19, 2012

What an amazing novel! I have been finding some great romance books lately, and this is indeed one of them. I was completely drawn into the story between Daniel and Melanie. This story has all the elements that make a love story great. Suspense, fear, anger, hopelessness, and ultimate joy.

Portions of this story resonated with my own life story. I fully understand how it feels to be married to a control freak--I was for nearly 10 years. And the author hit the nail on the head in her description of Melanie's facetious marriage. I recalled the pain, hopelessness, and feelings of entrapment. But unlike Melanie, I did not continue. I rejoiced when Melanie finally faced her fears. I know how hard it was me to stop believing the lies I heard day in and day out. And Melanie's self-worth was tied to Daniel. Feeling of not being wanted can be paralyzing.

The suspense in the story truly kept me on the edge of my seat through most of the book. I enjoyed the flashback techn.ique, and the author was a master at using this technique to further the story and heighten the emotional level. I also appreciated how the author told the story from two different perspectives. Rarely have I seen this technique handled in a book so masterfully.

So why the four star rating? First of all, while the profanity did not ruin the story for me, I could have done without it. I was grateful that the bedroom scenes were not overly graphic. But I was surprised at how it appeared that there was nothing wrong with the teenagers having sex outside of marriage, having other partners ater, and then having an affair when they found each other again. I loved the romance and love between them, but I would have liked to have seen some discretion and waiting involved in the situation which might show that they had learned something from the mistakes they made as teens. Morals would have been nice to have introduced and emphasized.

One other issue I had was that of realism. It would seem that the author wanted to write at least a somewhat realistic story with some ramance to it. I believe the author suceeded until about two thirds into it. I said to myself, "I hope this is not going to turn out to be a sappy story." Well, it kind of is--not as bad as I feared but still somewhat sappy. Some bad stuff did happen, but too much seemed to work out too well. Thus, the story became quite predictable.

However, I would definitely recommend this book to romance readers of most walks of life. The writing style is exquisite, and the story will capture your heart.

This book was provided to me in exchange for my honest review. I was not financially compensated in any way, and all opinions are 100 percent mine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pulled.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Elise Marion Great review! I agree with EVERYTHING!