Lorretta's Reviews > Alas, Babylon

Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank

Apr 16, 12

I read this book at least once a year. I purchased it in high school and my class never got to read it and it languished in my bookshelf for years. I found it after college and it was a quick entertaining read.
I love stories and ideas about disaster scenarios; how would I react if confronted with something this huge? Could I go without coffee? How long will my bullets last? Can I actually kill to protect myself? Can I kill to eat meat?

Randy is the unlikely leader in the group of survivors we are invited to follow in this book. He is a failed politician from an old family. With a few acquaintances and friends, he is able to get running water, harvest orchards, fish, learn what wild foods to gather, etc. It is fascinating to me and I enjoy this type of story much more than the minutiae of scientific garble that I cannot understand.

I find the ending particularly pleasing because when offered the chance to get to civilization, they each realize that they have it so much better with what they have created.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alas, Babylon.