Wendy's Reviews > Defending Jacob

Defending Jacob by William Landay

May 03, 12

bookshelves: audio-book
Read from April 16 to May 02, 2012

This book is crazy good. It's told in 1st-person POV from the perspective of Andy Barber, an Assistant D.A. in a small town outside Boston. He is the lead prosecutor for a murder case involving a 14-year-old boy when his own son Jacob becomes the prime suspect in the murder. Andy immediately goes from prosecution to defense, focusing on how to clear his son of these accusations. But is Jacob innocent or guilty? Does their violent family history have any bearing on this? It's an excellent examination of how it feels to be caught up in the middle of the legal system and what it is like to be the family of someone accused of such a heinous crime.

I love the intrigue of this novel and all its twists and turns. I also find Andy Barber himself really interesting. He's a totally unreliable narrator since he is so one-sided in his analysis of the events; he's also not a terribly likeable guy in his own right.

A note on the version: I listed to the audio narrated by Grover Gardner, and I'd recommend reading the standard e-book or hard copy. Gardner's narration was fine, but his dialogue was hard for me to listen to. I found his inflections unrealistic, and his female voices were distracting. Content of the book is great, though -- highly recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Defending Jacob.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Blair Did you buy this? I put it on hold at the library, but I think I'm something like 56 in the queue.