Vivian's Reviews > Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls

Reviving Ophelia by Mary Pipher

Apr 16, 12

This book was written by Dr. Mary Pipher, a psychologist who specials dealing with teenagers. Through her work with these troubled teens, Dr. Pipher has seen a rise in all areas that we should hope to see a decrease in; things like depression, alcohol abuse, drugs, eating disorders, and sexual activity. More and more girls are participating in these activities before they enter high school. Many parents blame themselves, but Dr. Pipher also sees a connection between our media and the way girls now see their bodies. Each chapter deals with a different world/family/abusive issue and uses real life stories that Dr. Pipher has heard to show how girls are dealing with it.

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this novel. It is the first large nonfiction book I have read, but I felt that it read much more like a story. Each true testimony that Dr. Pipher shares is frightening real, and I found myself reading her commentary going "Hey- that happened to me!" It's nice to see that all adolescent girls go through the same sorts of things, and seeing what success they can go on to have in life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reviving Ophelia.