Julie Davis's Reviews > Paranoia

Paranoia by Joseph Finder

Apr 17, 12

it was ok
Read from April 15 to 16, 2012

More mental popcorn from Joseph Finder simply because it was sitting on the library shelf.

Adam Cassidy is not a very likable character really. A slacker, just sliding by with the minimum effort, and tending to sink to the lowest moral standards, he does an actually praiseworthy thing for someone when the book begins. However, in diverting company funds to do so Adam sets himself up for corporate blackmail. Coached and prodded to be an industrial spy, he has been sent to a competitor to infiltrate their skunkworks and find out the next invention they're working on.

I am not crazy about Adam Cassidy, however it can't be denied that his heart is in the right place when it comes to people themselves. He is being extremely patient in providing care for his aging, verbally abusive father. His initial action stemmed from an equally praiseworthy impulse to give a loyal retiring worker a royal send-off. Unfortunately, he just can't resist sinking to low levels in how he carries some of these things out. Not always, but often enough to remind the reader that he ain't that great.

However, he's in the company of those who are much less praiseworthy ... until he gets to the competitive company. Interesting.

One wonders what he'll find when he investigates further. At least I wonder ...

FINAL
Perhaps because this was an earlier book, I didn't feel it was up to the pacing of other Joseph Finder books I've read. In fact, in the middle I became bored with all the back-and-forthing and wound up skimming a good deal just to move the action along. As well, the plot was simpler and the big twist (ta-DAH!) was not that big a surprise to me. Ah well, only one dud so far and even this was moderately entertaining so we can't say it was a complete failure (hence, my 2-star rating).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paranoia.

04/16/2012 page 175