Crystal's Reviews > Croak

Croak by Gina Damico

Apr 16, 12

bookshelves: paranormal, books-reviewed, review-copy

A must read for fans of the supernatural. This is a fun, different read that had me hankering for a little of the Grim business in my life. (Truthfully, I think that I would very much want to run away from the dead, but that's the beauty of books. You get to experience what you can't in reality.) The town of Croak is wonderfully constructed. I love it all around from the the names of places to their rules for dealing with tourists to the occupants themselves.

The characters are a bundle of fun, wit, and quirks. Lex is a teenage delinquent with a hyperactive imagination that I admire. She comes up with the most brilliant, funny scenarios. It's hard to believe that she has a hard time dealing with the anger broiling somewhere within her, yet that is the reason she's shipped to Uncle Mort. I did not see Uncle Mort coming. Not his attire or the way he proves to be a danger stranger that can be good for troubled kids like Lex and her fellow reaper misfit Driggs.

Croak is a fun, fast-paced read. It is filled with detailed imagery and passages that will have you laughing outright. Nevertheless, there are also times where the characters get serious--must get serious. Romance brews as Lex and Driggs team up to find out who is behind the mysterious deaths taking place.

Review at Imaginary Reads

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Croak.