Alexia561's Reviews > The Department of Magic

The Department of Magic by Rod Kierkegaard Jr.

Apr 30, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, ebook, review-copy, netgalley
Read from April 24 to 30, 2012

This was a little on the strange side in that I couldn't stop reading because I wanted to know what happened next, but at the same time, wasn't really interested in what was going on. Does that make sense? I didn't really care for the characters, as Jazz and Rocky weren't all that likable. And their boss really was Creepy, in more ways than one!

Jazz and Rocky are the newest recruits in a strange organization, where they are bound together as partners in more ways than one. They more or less have to learn on the job, as their boss is dead. Not that he stops supervising them....as death doesn't seem to slow this agency down.

They are taught various methods to help in their new job, not that they really know what their job is. And all of the methods are old school, so they sometimes have to improvise.

There are monsters and bad guys and patriotism(!), all leading up to an epic battle. There's always an epic battle, isn't there? Couldn't really work up much excitement, but it may have been because everything was wrapped in the American Flag. Or because things were hard to keep track of. Or I was just bored.

I didn't like the ending as it just....ended. Very dissatisfying. I don't mind a cliffhanger, but this was more like running into a brick wall. Or the author suddenly realized that he had used up his whole allotment of words!

This was a quick read and wasn't all that bad, but didn't knock my socks off. Couldn't work up much interest in the characters and as I tend to like characters more than non-stop action, that could be why the book didn't rate higher with me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Department of Magic.