Ron Christiansen's Reviews > The Tenth Parallel: Dispatches from the Fault Line Between Christianity and Islam

The Tenth Parallel by Eliza Griswold

May 04, 12

bookshelves: nf
Read in April, 2012

We invited the author to our student conference. In an 8 minute drive from her hotel to the conference, she was able to articulate a position concerning fragmented religious identity, particularly fundamentalism, which gave me hope.

Her book carefully and engagingly explains the 10th parallel, the line separating christians and Muslims through Africa and Asia. It's mostly report, "objective journalism" as that is her game, but we finally meet her and her religious past 117 pages in. An intriguing encounter with Billy Graham's son in the Sudan when he asks her if she is a believer or not. Griswold shows her anger and fear of this "God" who demanded so much of her father and now demanded something from her. And she separates herself from Graham for she had not accepted Jesus as her savior and most memorably, later back in the states "absentminded[ly]" leaves the Bible he had giver her behind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tenth Parallel.

message 1: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Christiansen It sounds very provocative. I guess it's not only Mormons who believe they have the only truth. (tongue in cheek)