Mark's Reviews > Toys

Toys by James Patterson

Apr 28, 12

bookshelves: fiction, thriller, science-fiction
Read from April 22 to 28, 2012 — I own a copy

First point - it's not apparent from the details on the back of the book but this is a step into science fiction for James Patterson and is set 50 or so years into the future when a lot has happened to planet Earth in the meantime.
Having said that it's still written with his usual brisk pace (and short pacy chapters) and style. As I read this I kept likening it to other things - its like the Deus Ex computer games in that it features human augmentation - to such an extent that the augmented models lose their human roots and humans become an underclass that are threatened with extinction by their "superior" brethren. In some ways it's also like the Matrix films in that the augmented "Elites" are all-powerful like the Agents in those films. I think this would also make a good film - a kind of big blockbuster sci-fi like Minority Report or Surrogates (to name just a couple of examples).
On the whole, this was not exactly what I expected when I started to read it but I soon got into the world that the novel created and thoroughly enjoyed it - another good read.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Toys.