Rhonda's Reviews > Seven Years to Sin

Seven Years to Sin by Sylvia Day

Apr 22, 12

Read from April 16 to 21, 2012

Seven Years to Sin by Sylvia Day

Alistair Caulfield has harbored a love for Lady Jessica Sheffield for many years, but many factors made that love unattainable. He being younger, and the 4th son of a duke and duchess, there was no role for him. Alistair is quite a free spirit, making his own way in the world at a young age and building his own fortune by whatever means necessary.

On the eve of Jessica’s wedding, she is walking her dog for the evening and comes across Alistair engaged in a lecherous act with a married woman.

“The horror she should have felt at finding a man engaged in sexual congress was markedly absent. Because it was Caulfield, and he fascinated her. It was a terrible sort of captivation with which she viewed him-a mixture of envy for his freedom and horror at the ease with which he disregarded public opinion.”

Being free wasn’t afforded to Jessica as her father had her already paired with Benedict Sinclair, Viscount and future Earl immediately upon her presentation as a debutante. Having spent her life under her fathers thumb and having propriety beaten into her, Jessica was just happy to be away from that situation. Happens that her marriage was a good one, but fate had other plans for Jessica.

“Other men coveted the mystery of her, but Alistair had seen behind the veil, and that was the woman he lusted for. Forever beyond his reach in reality, but a fixture in his mind. She was burned into his memory by the raging hungers and impressions of youth, and the years hadn’t lessened the vivid recollection one wit.”

After six years of marriage to Benedict, she is widowed. Benedict left her everything including the property in Jamaica. Almost a year into her bereavement of her husband, Jessica decides she needs to get away from society for a while and decides to travel to Jamaica to tend to the property there. Just so happens that Alistair has now made his return to London, and has arranged with Jessica’s brother in law to escort and assist Jessica on her trip. Jessica doesn’t know of Alistair’s return or of his plans to accompany her on the ship for the next six weeks, alone with only the two of them and the crewmen.

“He wanted her to see him as the man he was now-cultured and learned. Polished. His presentation was meant to be the first salvo in what was intended to be a slow careful seduction.”

The unattainable becomes attainable as the courtship of Jessica Tarley begins. These two alone on a ship together have no distractions from each other, and Alistair couldn’t have planned this better. I loved watching these two turn their lust into love, and tear down each others protective walls. Each sharing the most emotional parts of their past with one another. Not only knowing each other carnally, but getting a good look into the true make up of each other.

“She’d started this journey as a widow, certain she would be alone for the rest of her life. She ended with a lover, a man to whom she’d bared her body and soul, revealing memories of a past she had previously shared only with Hester.”

There is also a heartbreaking secondary story going on that involves Jessica’s sister, Hester. Growing up, Jessica tried to protect Hester from their fathers’ rages, only for her to end up married to a man with those same rages. Michael who has loved her since their youth wants desperately to protect her, is in difficult position. He would love nothing more than to save her but all he can do is extend his friendship and try to be there for Hester as best he can. I certainly wouldn’t mind a continuation of her story. I loved Michael and Hester, and hated Regmont!

I loved this story so much!
Sylvia Day is versatile in her writing, and once again I have experienced her beautiful writing and characterization. This is story of two people falling in love, and I truly fell in love with this cast of characters and their story. Alistair is that strong, dominant, and sexy man that I love so, but yet he’s not afraid to show his love for all the world to see. I really liked Jessica, she is stronger than she believes, smart and very perceptive. In the face of propriety she embraces herself, and the hellrake she has fallen in love with.

“Seven years. It felt as if her attraction to him had been simmering the whole of that time, waiting for his touch to free it.”

*All quotes are taken from the novel Seven Years to Sin by Sylvia Day

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seven Years to Sin.

Quotes Rhonda Liked

Sylvia Day
“If I could,” he went on, “I would remain like this indefinitely—clasped by you, held inside you, a part of you—without moving at all. When we make love, I fight climax with everything I have. I don’t want to come; I do not want it to end. No matter how long I make it last, it isn’t nearly long enough. I am furious when I cannot hold back any longer. Why, Jess? If all I seek is the physical relief of natural lust, just as I would seek sleep or food, why would I deny myself?”

She turned her head and caught his mouth with hers, kissing him desperately.

“Tell me you understand,” he demanded, his lips moving beneath hers. “Tell me you feel it, too.”

“I feel you,” she breathed, as intoxicated by his ardency as she was by the finest claret. “You have become everything to me.”
Sylvia Day, Seven Years to Sin

Sylvia Day
“I have wanted you for so long now,” he said roughly, “I’ve no memory of how it feels to be devoid of the craving. But you must know what you do. I need you to think of who you are and where you are and who I am. Think of how things will be once we’ve crossed this threshold. Think of how you will leave this cabin—disheveled and well fucked.”
Sylvia Day, Seven Years to Sin

04/16/2012
25.0% "Sex had been one of his trades, and he was damned good as it. If given the chance, he could ruin her for other men. - Sylvia Day"
04/16/2012
25.0% "Ah damn! Alister used his cravat for pure naughtiness!!! :)"
04/16/2012
35.0% "Jessica and Alistair are too cute right now."
04/16/2012
43.0% "“I have wanted you for so long now,” he said roughly, “I’ve no memory of how it feels to be devoid of the craving. But you must know what you do. I need you to think of who you are and where you are and who I am. Think of how things will be once we’ve crossed this threshold. Think of how you will leave this cabin—disheveled and well fucked."
04/18/2012
60.0% "“You’ve been teaching me how to make love for weeks, yet you do not believe I’ve learned the lesson.”
Her fingers clenched into the rigid muscles bracketing his spine.
“The very first time I had you,” Alistair whispered, leaning his forehead against hers, “I understood the difference between what I thought I knew about sex and what I had yet to grasp. Now, I cannot remember how I ever managed the act before you."
04/18/2012
60.0% "He kept her immobile and pinned to the bulkhead with his weight. Encircling her wrist, he pulled her hand up and pressed it over his heart. It thundered beneath her palm. His chest lifted and fell in a markedly elevated rhythm. “I have exerted myself not at all. You weigh little more than a feather. Tell me, Jess, why does my heart race? For the strenuous sex we’ve yet to begin? Or because it beats for you?”"
04/20/2012
77.0% "”Don't,” he snapped, his voice vibrating with fury. ” Don't you dare sit there so primly and speak about the dissolution of our relationship in that toneless voice as if you are asking me if I want more tea instead of ripping out my heart!” Sylvia Day" 2 comments
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog Good lord! With a quote like that, how could I not put this on my to-be-read pile? wow.

message 2: by Rhonda (last edited Apr 17, 2012 02:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rhonda Tessamari wrote: "Good lord! With a quote like that, how could I not put this on my to-be-read pile? wow."

;)
Tessa, I have really enjoyed this so far. It's been a while since I read a good HR, and I haven't read Day until Bared To You, which I enjoyed a lot. So I thought I'd give this a go.

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog You know I don't recall ever reading any HR. The ones I've considered looked good, but none really caught my interest. However, I'm pretty intrigued with this one though. lol.

Rhonda Tessamari wrote: "You know I don't recall ever reading any HR. The ones I've considered looked good, but none really caught my interest. However, I'm pretty intrigued with this one though. lol."

This was the first HR I read, and loved it! The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (Highland Pleasures, #1) by Jennifer Ashley

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog Rhonda wrote: "Tessamari wrote: "You know I don't recall ever reading any HR. The ones I've considered looked good, but none really caught my interest. However, I'm pretty intrigued with this one though. lol."

T..."

You rock Rhonda. Thank you for the suggestion. I'm going for it, wish me luck! lol. :)

Rhonda Enjoy Ian!

Just a little insight, Ian is autistic.

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog I just finished Lord Ian's book and I really really liked it. Thank you so much for recommending it to me and for giving me the heads up on his character. It helped me tremendously in understanding him :)

Rhonda Awwwwww..... I'm so glad you enjoyed it! The next in the stores is pretty yummy! Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage
I adore Mac

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog Another excellent review, Rhomda! I can't wait to read this :)

Rhonda Awww, thanks Tessa! *blushing*

Rhonda BTW, She's on our blog today and giving away stuff! LOL!

message 12: by Dominique (new) - added it

Dominique rhonda is this reele worth $8.00?

message 13: by Rhonda (last edited Jul 16, 2012 11:24AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rhonda I don't think any ebook is worth 8.00

message 14: by Dominique (new) - added it

Dominique hahaha

Rhonda Hmmmm..... Have you checked your local library for ebook?

message 16: by Dominique (new) - added it

Dominique i do not even kno how to do that

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog Dom, this book is kindle lendable if you want to borrow it :) Just message me your email if you're interested :)

message 18: by Dominique (new) - added it

Dominique ahhhhh love u lolol i'll message u next week i just got 3 new ones

message 19: by Rhonda (last edited Jul 16, 2012 12:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rhonda Yaay!!
See, I just love it when things work out.