Moses Kilolo's Reviews > The Bottom Billion: Why the Poorest Countries Are Failing and What Can Be Done About It

The Bottom Billion by Paul Collier

Apr 18, 2012

Read from April 16 to 18, 2012

Finally gotten down to non-fiction. . . , it feels like an achievement! But, I will skip my skeptical side that wants me to mention that Paul Collier is simply speaking about Africa and the ills that have bedeviled us. But then why should it piss me off when it is simply the truth? Many of the African states are caught up in one or even several of the traps that he mentions. It is either there is conflict, or the natural resources that they have been endowed with have become their curse, or the unfortunate state of being landlocked with bad neighbors. then there is the classic case of bad governance.. - which African nations have escaped this one? I don't as yet think of any. Collier is also very practical in his analysis of how and why these states are in this mess and how it can all be handled if there will be a hope of ever coming out of the poverty caused. I support his assertion that Aid alone will not pull the bottom billion from the traps. He shows how if applied properly, military intervention as well as particular laws and charters can be wonderful instruments of change and help.

I think I should do more non-fiction, especially about Africa.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bottom Billion.