Carly's Reviews > Noughts & Crosses

Noughts & Crosses by Malorie Blackman

Apr 16, 12

Read from April 15 to 16, 2012

So I've finally made myself finish this book. I had real high expectations, seeing all the 5 star reviews and 'wow's!'. What a let down. I've never been any good at writing book reviews so excuse me if this doesn't come across how I want it too. One word i would use to describe this book..... Flat. It had no depth and it just felt rushed and really, it was quite boring. The characters were really two-dimensional and it was near impossible for me to care about what happened to them, i couldn't even dredge up any emotion for the last chapter. Also, where was this supposed romance?? One minute they were friends, the next they were declaring love, having sex (wtf was with that anyway? He had just kidnapped her but still she lays down with him!?) and making a baby. Just stupid, there was no believable lead up to all this. When I read a good book I can envision it in my head, create my own little movie if you like, but this is the only book I've ever read where that didn't happen. I do like the basis for the plot, it just could have been so much more than it is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Noughts & Crosses.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nimotalai You're disgusting.

Carly Right.... and why is that?

Iesje I so agree with you. If I have to use one word to describe the book than it's whiny.

Chrissa I totally agree this book was awful

message 5: by Callum (last edited Sep 28, 2014 11:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Callum Harris 1 star for the review. I disagree with your short review. For a children's book series it makes points about social statues and racial discrimination. The characters had depth and a reason for being part of the story with realistic problems and relationships which is something some authors and creative writers have trouble with when writing their own stories

Princess Sophie This book is inspiring and truthful and...... painful to read like it's your own family. This is the first book I ever read, at 13. And it's still the most incredibly gut-wrenching book that makes you want to change the world.