Kara Rae Garland's Reviews > Incarnate

Incarnate by Jodi Meadows

Apr 16, 12

The concept behind this book is so very good. A whole society of people who have lived thousands of years over and over again in different bodies? (A little like the Amar Kabal from Brandon Mull's Beyonders series). Unfortunately, I was really annoyed by the main character. It seemed like she made too many assumptions about what the people around her were thinking about her. She somehow seemed way too cynical about other people. I get that being raised so harshly and unkindly by Li made her paranoid, but when people started expressing their friendship, she didn't show much doubt about her past experiences and that really bothered me. It didn't seem like she was learning and growing in that sense. I thought that the relationship with her primary love interest progressed in a way that was unsatisfyingly non-linear. It didn't follow a pattern that made sense to me. The tension didn't build correctly, in my opinion. (You know who writes relationship tension really well? Cassandra Clare!)

Despite these criticisms, I am really looking forward to seeing where Jodi Meadows takes this character and this world. I am looking forward to seeing her skills grow as a writer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Incarnate.