Nereyda Gonzalez's Reviews > Embrace

Embrace by Cherie Colyer

May 01, 12

bookshelves: blog-tour, received-for-review
Read from April 16 to 18, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

***Copy provided for review as part of blog tour***
Even though the book description is fairly vague, I was intrigued enough by it and the pretty cover to ask to be a part of the blog tour. Once I started reading and I found out what this book was really about, I was blown away by it because this is one of my favorite genres!

We meet Madison who has been through enough changes in her life. One of the biggest changes being the death of her mother. When her best friend, Kaylee, drags her to the beach, Madison meets the mysterious new guy, Isaac. Sparks immediately fly between them even though they are both cautious and hesitant. But things take an ugly turn when Kaylee starts hallucinating, seeing things and talking about demons. The doctors can’t seem to find anything wrong with her and with no other option she is taken to a mental institute. Kaylee only seems to be getting worse which forces doctors to keep her mostly sedated and restrained to her bed. Madison feels helpless and she knows her best friend isn’t crazy, all she knows is that there is definitely something or someone dark and powerful that is after Kaylee. With the help of Isaac and Kaylee’s boyfriend, Josh, they are determined to help Kaylee and save her from whatever is after her.

One big issue I had about this was that I felt like Madison and Isaac’s relationship was a bit rushed. Even though Madison barely knew him, she was already falling for him. We learn later why they have such a strong connection and after that it makes more sense. Even though they clearly like each other, they are still afraid to completely open up to each other and let the other know how they feel. To make matters worse, Madison’s ex best friend makes a pass at Isaac every chance she gets and one of Madison’s friends starts hitting on her too.

Madison was a very strong and likeable character. But I was surprised at how much I ended up liking her best friend Kaylee. I love the strong friendship between her and Madison and her relationship between her and her boyfriend Josh. Even though it starts off fast then slows down a bit, one they open up and really get to know each other I really liked the relationship between Madison and Isaac.

I know this is a really vague review but I was pleasantly surprised and I wouldn’t want to ruin that for any of you. This is a great and past paced story. Mystery, friendship, romance, betrayals a lot of surprises and twist will keep you turning the pages to find out what happens next! I really want to know what happens next and I hope that this book is the start of another great series.
4 out of 5 sparkly stars!

Some of my favorite non-spoiler quotes or scenes from Embrace:
-“Your life is about to change, and there’s nothing you can do about it.”

-“Always remember, people fear what they don’t understand.”

-The maze was a lot like my life: a series of paths that led to choices, turns that often led me astray, and dead ends that forced me to rethink where I'd just been. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t find the exit to my own happiness. I'd get close, but then there’d be one more choice to make, one more obstacle to get past, one more wall of cornstalks blocking the way.

-I wish I could say, in that moment standing between the people I loved, that I saw hope-a bright light that assured me things would be okay. Sometimes, you just know that isn’t true. Sometimes, you end up hurting the ones you love. You can’t save them or yourself.

-He wasn't playing fair. He never had, and I secretly loved that he didn’t.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Embrace.

04/16/2012 page 30
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Black Queen (new) - added it

Black Queen I'm so mad that I'm not reading this book and you are! Stop rumbing it in...lol!!:)