Indrani's Reviews > Mathilda Savitch

Mathilda Savitch by Victor Lodato

6341900
Apr 20, 12

Read from April 15 to 19, 2012

A day later, and I'm still trying to decide whether or not I enjoyed this book. I am not certain that "enjoy" is the right word to use about a book like this.

At times, it reminded me of Kazuo Ishigiro's "Never Let Me Go" - told in a first-person narrative by someone who decidedly does not have an omniscient view of the world around her, we catch the truth in glimpses and hints, sometimes putting the pieces together before our narrator. The story is not a cheerful Disney tale. Bad things happen, often to not-very-bad people, sometimes with little explanation, and even when the explanation is given, one is still left to question: "why?".

Mathilda's world is not fair, not just, but it is very real. It is not painted in the pretty pinks of girlhood fantasy, but could sit in the muted pastels of those places that are meant to try to keep people calm. Mathilda herself rails against this, and often, we cheer her on.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mathilda Savitch.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Regina How funny you should compare MS to Never Let Me Go. I just started reading that today.