Caitlin Trepp's Reviews > Looking for Alaska

Looking for Alaska by John Green

Apr 15, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: bestseller-popular, can-lend, dark-secret, mystery, over-rated, realistic-fiction, young-adult, read-2012
Recommended to Caitlin by: Everyone in the world world, who I have met, which is everyone, all 7 billion people.
Read on April 15, 2012 — I own a copy

What the hell John Green? You're video blog is excellent, the quotes on Goodreads are awesome and the quotes are sound; and yet this book that is supposed to be completely amazing is a barely awake version of Bridge to Terabithia meets The Virgin Suicides. I am still quite fond of you but having read Freak the Geek from Geektastic and now this, I have to wonder...? Why are you much cooler on YouTube?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Looking for Alaska.

Quotes Caitlin Liked

John Green
“When adults say, "Teenagers think they are invincible" with that sly, stupid smile on their faces, they don't know how right they are. We need never be hopeless, because we can never be irreparably broken. We think that we are invincible because we are. We cannot be born, and we cannot die. Like all energy, we can only change shapes and sizes and manifestations. They forget that when they get old. They get scared of losing and failing. But that part of us greater than the sum of our parts cannot begin and cannot end, and so it cannot fail.”

John Green
“I hated sports. I hated sports, and I hated people who played them, and I hated people who watched them, and I hated people who didn't hate people who watched or played them.”

John Green
“I may die young, but at least I'll die smart.”