Avery Park's Reviews > The Sweet Far Thing

The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray

U 50x66
Apr 15, 12

Read in April, 2012

I was very disappointed with this book series. First of all, I read countless books written in the Victorian era just because I got bored of all the nonsense I've been reading for the past years as a teenager. Libba Bray did integrate the Romantic, Victorian style of writing into the book, however some circumstances were not very plausible, especially when Gemma spoke. I was thinking to myself, 'This is a joke'. I may sound harsh, but really, I'm sure I'm not the only one who felt this way.

I also feel very unsatisfied with the whole structure of the book. I sat there skipping pages after pages, because I knew they didn't actually contribute to the actual plot. They were just drama drama drama. It made my head hurt.

I could probably spend an eternity complaining about the character developments. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel that nobody actually changed significantly enough to give them an applaud. Gemma finally slapped herself and put few things in order near the last 100 pages or so, but before that she was dabbling in darkness or making out with Kartik. It was ridiculous, and some of my friends say she's a strong heroine. And I couldn't disaree with them more. She always succumbed to peer pressure and obvious temptations. As a reader, it was extrememly frustrating.
Kartik... Oh my goodness. What exactly happened here. He slips in and out of Gemma's life, keeping the reader on their feet like, 'What's happening, will he finally confess!' But, geez. He had to become a tree didn't he. Just perfect. Although I must admit, when that little girl Wendy said the breeze sounds like 'Gemma' , that part got me a little emotional, but I have to say, sadly that's the only part in the whole series when I actually felt something positive, or.. sad. The majority of the time, I was boiling over how obstinate and immature all the characters were. Especially Felicity and Pippa.

I feel as a reader, that it's crucial that the readers must sympathise with the characters in the book. Yet, I felt nothing but the urge to strangle them. So... This book was a waste of my time.

Sorry if I depressed some people with my negative viewpoints.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sweet Far Thing.