Linda's Reviews > Notes to Myself: My Struggle to Become a Person

Notes to Myself by Hugh Prather

Apr 20, 12

bookshelves: memoirs, nonfiction
Read from April 15 to 20, 2012

"Dislike is a function of need. I want something from you that you do not provide and so I dislike that condition and call you bad. The squirrel who lives behind my cabin becomes furious whenever I empty the garbage. I do not need his approval and his anger amuses me. But if he were my pet and I needed his cooperation then this same anger would irritate me. I do not like dislike a stone unless it is in my path, or a cloud unless it rains on me. If I feel in need of something from you then I hear your words only as yes, no, maybe, or irritatingly off the subject. I cannot appreciate you as you are and cannot begin to see the world as you see it."

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Notes to Myself.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vishy (new)

Vishy Happy Reading! I remember one of my old friends saying that this is one of her favourite books.

Linda It reads like a cross between poetry and journal entries! And there are no page numbers! :) Something new for me.

Vishy wrote: "Happy Reading! I remember one of my old friends saying that this is one of her favourite books."

message 3: by Vishy (new)

Vishy Linda wrote: "It reads like a cross between poetry and journal entries! And there are no page numbers! :) Something new for me.

Nice! It looks like a unique book! I like the fact that it doesn't have page numbers - I think that makes us focus more on the page rather than in trying to complete the book.

message 4: by Martin (new)

Martin Its very good. I copied a bunch of quotes from this for my notebook.