Sarah's Reviews > Walking Home: A Traveler in the Alaskan Wilderness, a Journey into the Human Heart

Walking Home by Lynn Schooler

Apr 15, 12

bookshelves: environment-animals, memoir-biography

My Review: Let me start by saying that this book isn’t bad. In fact, it’s filled with truly fascinating information about the history of Alaska, action-packed stories of fearless, long-ago explorers, and the chronicles of Schooler’s once in a lifetime trek. But for an alone-in-the-wilderness memoir, this book was surprisingly bland and anticlimactic. With the exception of a brief (albeit terrifying) bear encounter toward the end, most of Schooler’s reflections were actually a bit mundane.

Though I wasn’t particularly impressed by the half baked revelations Schooler experienced alone in the rough Alaskan wilderness, I did discover a lot about the voracious appetite of the Lituya Bay and the evolution of human existence amid Alaska’s ever-changing environment. Luckily for Schooler, I’m an enormous nerd- the history channel-esque overload was more than enough to keep my fingers flipping pages for hours on end. Nice save, Mr. Schooler. Nice save.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Walking Home.