FicTalk Blog's Reviews > Hushed

Hushed by Kelley York

Apr 15, 12

bookshelves: arc, reviewed-in-2011

Reviewed by Heather

I have to admit, Hushed would not have been a book I would have chosen for myself to read, but when the Fic Talk was asked if we’d like to participate in the blog tour, I decided to give it a shot. I am honestly glad I gave it a read.

Hushed opens up in a very shocking way. Archer, the main character of the book, is forcing a young man named Brody to commit suicide. Archer stands by and watches as Brody swallows pill after pill followed by copious amounts of alcohol. He watches Brody fall to the bed and lose consciousness and begin to choke on his own vomit. When Archer is sure that Brody no longer has a pulse, he leaves.

Archer’s best friend, Vivian, is Brody’s sister. The two of them have known each other for years and are involved in a strange relationship. Archer is always the one Vivian runs to when she needs help. He has a very unhealthy infatuation with Vivian and cannot stay mad at her, no matter what she does to him.

After an event that took place when the two of them were younger, Archer feels the need to protect Vivian… at any cost. Brody was just one on a list of several people that Archer feels should pay for how they’ve treated Vivian over the years.

When Archer meets a guy named Evan he begins to realize his relationship with Vivian isn’t healthy at all. Evan shows him that he needs to break away from Vivian once and for all. Will Archer be able to escape the hold Vivian has on him or will she pull him down with her once and for all?

Kelley York truly did an amazing job with this book and I am very glad that I gave it a shot and read outside of my usual genre of books.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hushed.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kelley York It makes me so very happy when someone says they normally don't read books like this, but enjoyed HUSHED. Thank you so much!