Sam's Reviews > Lost December

Lost December by Richard Paul Evans

F_50x66
Apr 19, 12

Read from April 15 to 19, 2012

** spoiler alert ** This book was one that I would never pick up on my own. I read it because it was our May Book Club book. I feel like I often unfairly, can judge a book by its review/description, and learning that this book was as "spiritual" as it was (a feeling I didn't get), I think may have tainted my view. I don't have anything against spirituality, but I do want it to be a smidge more realistic.

Lost December is essentially a retelling of the "prodigal son" parable from the Bible. It is told in first-person by a young man named Luke Crisp, the son of a copy chain CEO and a young business prodigy. His decision to enroll in business school across the country sends him into a downward spiral caused by a group of bad influences from his business program. Gambling, lavish spending and freely giving money for no reason at all lead Luke towards a life of abject poverty from which he must rebuild himself.

Am I too jaded of a person to plow through a book (that, while somewhat unoriginal held my attention) and be bitter that everything was neatly tied up in the end? Of course Luke was going to emerge unscathed, he was going to repair his relationship with his father, marry a girl far prettier and kinder than the one he had dated in grad school and emerge successful? Didn't I expect no one to die or become ill or suffer? Didn't I think the characters were going to remain constricted to their "type?" (I found it amusing that the book begins with a disclaimer about how awful Luke is....and he does read as a victim and a sweet soul throughout). But isn't it sadder that I look at a book like this and deem it unrealistic when in truth, I think we all hope for something to end as perfectly as this book did with no lose ends, found love and infinite money?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost December.