Timothy Darling's Reviews > Two Little Girls in Blue

Apr 29, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: crime, suspense
Read from April 15 to 28, 2012 — I own a copy

I have come to expect from Ms. Higgins Clark a plot that is clean and this one is no exception. Though it deals with human depravity, in this case murder and kidnapping, the reader is not carried into a stream of profanity and invenctive or sexual depravity. She tells the story without dragging you through the parts that can offend your sensibilities. You can know the worse without latching onto the incedental baggage. Unfortunately, Ms. Higgins Clark's delecacy also gives her style a bit of clunk, that is she tends to give her characters unnatural, stilted language. It is a minor criticism of an otherwise good book. The victims, the signature "two little girls" are not so believable, though I may just be indulging my skepticism. They speak with a sophistication beyond their years and in ways that defy likelihood.

The scenario, however, is good. The kidnapping of two kids with a plan to collect a huge ransom, without much risk of non-payment. The parents are the standard never-say-die believers that all Mary Higgins Clark books need. In the long run, this was a pleasant read, but, if you're like me, you'll need a little time between MHC stories so that the flow doesn't become monotonous.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Two Little Girls in Blue.

04/23/2012 page 3