Angela Todd's Reviews > The Monstrumologist

Apr 15, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: literature-for-the-adolescent
Read in April, 2012

This book was not a book I would normally read. The blood, guts, and gore of the book did not appeal to me as they may have to others. There were some good aspects of the book, but overall, the topic was not appealing to me. However, I did like how the characters developed in Will Henry's mind. Will Henry was only a twelve-year-old boy, yet he has experienced much more than any average person will experience in his or her lifetime. The character of Will Henry was such a good basis for the novel. Will Henry provided the stability and rationale throughout the book as the doctors continued to make decisions out of selfish ambition. Will Henry did most of the killing of the Anthropophagi, not the professional monster hunters. Will Henry was always the logic behind each idea and was quick to make rational decisions in tough situations. In a way, every character needed to be more like Will Henry. It is easy to forget that he is only twelve-years-old because he is so mature, loyal, and logical. Again, I liked this piece of the book because the author did such a wonderful job of developing Will Henry into the desired character. But, I did not like the book overall because of the topic. The author did well writing the book and had some great insights into the monsters known as Anthropophagi, but the topic is what pulled me away. Rick Yancey is a great writer, but I will not be reading the following two books of the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Monstrumologist.