Ruth's Reviews > Women Who Run With the Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype

Women Who Run With the Wolves by Clarissa Pinkola Estés

1202208
Apr 15, 2012

liked it

I've been reading this book on and off for the past several years. When I first purchased it at the recommendation of my eldest sister, I could see right away why it intrigued her; the combination of "cantadora" story-telling by the author (who happens also to be a Jungian psychoanalyst) and insights into why women do what they do and how they can learn from mythological archetypes is always interesting. There are times I feel the author takes her myths so seriously, though, that I find myself a little put off. I'm sure there are truths within myth, but to wrap everything in the cloth of ecstatic, quasi-religious fervor when speaking of how we women all have our wild natures that must be satisfied kind of makes me roll my eyes sometimes. That said, if you read this for the retelling of the stories themselves, you can really travel to a kind of enchanted place. Whether you believe or buy into all the Jungian interpretations of each myth or fairy story is your business. Some things resonated with me and some did not. I expect that sort of response would probably be fine with the author, though. Kind of fascinating overall.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Women Who Run With the Wolves.