Susan's Reviews > The Sense of an Ending

The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes

Apr 19, 12

bookshelves: 21stcenturyliterary, what-is-life
Read from April 15 to 18, 2012

Four point five, to be precise.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sense of an Ending.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steve (new)

Steve I was right at 4.5, too. Maybe I'll round up so that the average between us is accurate.

It was a great book to parse and discuss (if our book club of two is indicative of such things).

Susan I'm glad that you enjoyed it and that you were willing to share your birthday present with me!

message 3: by Steve (new)

Steve According to the Goodreads "Compare Books" statistics, this will be our 100th book in common. And our ratings correlate at 91%. I guess I can't compliment your good taste without blowing my own horn in the process. Instead, I'll just say that you give great birthday gifts.

Susan But our book discussions might be more interesting if that correlation were in the <50% range! I would try to keep my disagreement civil, which can be a challenge for me, as you well know. ;)

message 5: by Steve (new)

Steve In my experience, some people are capable of interesting debates even when the correlation is 99%. The 1% of difference is more than enough to keep things lively.

As for your civility, I honestly don't recall having to delete flames from you. Am I forgetting?

Susan You didn't forget anything, but I did forget the debates to which you were referring, though they are never about anything as personally interesting to me as literature....

message 7: by Steve (new)

Steve It was really just a general statement, Susan. We've used that statistic in reference to certain West Coast relations, if I recall. This person has a talent, in fact, for seeking out that 1%.

I think for you and me it's more like you've so consistently won me over to your point of view that I now correlate very highly. My own success in doing the same has been mixed. In matters of taste, bebop era jazz has been a partial victory, but Reds baseball has been a dismal failure.

message 8: by Susan (last edited Apr 30, 2012 07:17AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan I knew immediately to whom you were referring!

I would count bebop as a total victory and as for the Reds, I think you should congratulate yourself on my willingness to attend Reds games with you as a partial victory and just move on to the Cubs and Red Sox!

message 9: by Steve (new)

Steve Good advice, Susan. Go Cubs! Go Red Sox! And on June 15: Go Whoever!

Susan June 15 will be a more relaxing day than today, unfortunately, since our allegiances are strictly red.

message 11: by Steve (new)

Steve My fingernails are nubs. In the famous lines of somebody, I want it to be over and for us to have won.