All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Splintered

Splintered by A.G. Howard

Jan 25, 2013

bookshelves: reviewed-by-julia, earc
Read in January, 2013

Vivid and evocative, the colors and artistry of SPLINTERED bleed from between the pages. This modern visit to Alice’s Wonderland has a cinematic quality, with everything from Alyssa’s outfits to Morpheus’s magical wings splashed across the mind’s eye.

Above and beyond the aesthetic, the mechanics of this reimagined Wonderland works for me, too. The creatures and Queens are still alien and savage, but the author offers hints of humanity as well. I enjoyed each step of the journey where Alyssa retraces Alice’s steps. In fact, my one complaint bringing this story from 5 bats to 4 was that the human portion of Alyssa’s plot was a bit over engineered. From her relationship with Jeb, balanced perfectly on the edge of true friendship and unrequited love, to the “bad girl” Taelor, who manages to represent every negative aspect of Alyssa’s human life in one neat, easily defeated package, the human part of SPLINTERED was too neatly and explicitly explained.

But as flat as Alyssa’s human life fell, the imagery of Wonderland is not easily forgotten. Morpheus has all the sexy devilry of Bowie in Labyrinth, and it’s his whispers and wings I’ll remember going forward. A richly painted world, SPLINTERED is the sexy, dangerous Wonderland I’ve been waiting for.

Sexual Content: Kissing, discussions of sex.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Splintered.